Welcome to World Fun Facts

The Encyclopedia of World Information.

ZIWIYE [ancient: Zibia] (Iran)

Archaeological site in Azerbāijān province, near Saqqez. A collection of gold, silver, and ivory objects found here in 1946, supposedly by a shepherd boy, is important for the study of early Median art. Dating to the late eighth and the seventh centuries b.c., it is believed by some scholars to be part of the dowry… read more »

ZITTAU [Old Slavic: Sitowir] (Germany)

City on the left bank of the Neisse River in Saxony, 45 mi ESE of Dresden. Originating as a Slavic settlement, it was chartered in 1255 and joined the Lusatian League in 1346. It fell to Saxony in 1635. It was an important medieval textile center. See also Lusatia.

ZITACUARO [Heroica Zitácuaro] (Mexico)

City, in Michoacán state, 60 mi SE of Morelia. It was one of the earliest centers of the Mexican War of Independence from 1810 on. The Junta of Zitácuaro was the independence movement’s first governing organ. Zitácuaro saw fighting between French and Mexicans in 1864 and was burned in 1865.

ZIPPORIT [Sipori] [ancient: Sepphoris] (Israel)

Village in N Israel, approximately 3 mi NNW of Nazareth. An important town under the Romans, it was later, after the fall of Jerusalem in a.d. 70, the seat of the Sanhedrin, the Jewish religious and legal court. In the first century a.d. Zipporit was the chief city of Galilee and a rival of Tiberias…. read more »

ZION CANYON (United States)

Archaeological site, in Zion National Park, in SW Utah. It was first named by Mormon settlers who discovered it in the 1850s. Its walls contain numerous fossils and evidence of prehistoric cave dwellers.

ZION (United States)

City in Illinois, on Lake Michigan, 5 mi N of Waukegan. Founded in 1901 by John Alexander Dowie of the Christian Catholic Church, it was a communal society with a theocratic government that lasted until 1935. Notable buildings include the Zion Hotel of 1902, one of the nation’s largest all-frame buildings with a 367-foot frontage.

ZION [Sion] (Israel)

Hill in the city of Jerusalem. It was defined in the Bible as the City of David. The name originally referred to the Jebusite fortress conquered by David on the southeastern hill of Jerusalem and now being excavated, but has become symbolic of Jerusalem itself, the Promised Land, of the Jewish people’s hope of returning… read more »

ZINDER [Sinder] (Niger)

Town, approximately 65 mi N of the Nigerian border and 620 mi NE of Lagos. It was originally on an old trans-Saharan caravan route that connected northern Nigeria with the African coast as early as the 11th century a.d. A walled town, it was the capital of the Muslim state controlled by Bornu from the… read more »

ZIELONA GORA [German: Grünberg, Grünberg in Schlesien] (Poland)

City, 50 mi SE of Frankfurt-an-der-Oder. It prospered as a textile center after Flemish weavers settled here in the 13th century, and it became prominent on the trade route from Berlin to Upper Silesia, reaching its height of prosperity in the 15th century. Birthplace of the painter Tadeusz Konicz in 1733, its notable buildings include… read more »

Sidebar