Places

Facts and information about historic places from around the world.

ZUTPHEN [Zutfen] [former: Zuidveen] (Netherlands)

City in E Netherlands, on the IJssel River. Chartered in 1191, it was an important stronghold of the Spanish during the 16th-century Dutch struggle for independence. Sir Philip Sidney was wounded and died here in 1586 while serving with his uncle, the earl of Leicester, during the campaign to take the town from Spain. The… read more »

ZUWARAH [Zuara] [Portuguese: Punta dar Zoyara] (Libya)

Port, 65 mi W of Tripoli. It was first mentioned in a Portuguese sailing manual of 1375. As the terminus of the now-defunct railway from Tripoli, it was the western outpost of Italian control of Libya from 1912 to 1943.

ZVENIGOROD (Russia)

City, 30 mi W of Moscow. Chartered in 1328, it has the remains of an 11th- to 14th-century fortress and Uspenski Cathedral of 1393, with its frescoes. Advanced German units reached it in 1941 in their Moscow campaign during World War II.

ZVORNIK [Turkish: Izvornik] (Bosnia)

Town on the Drina River, 23 mi ESE of Tuzla. It was the seat of the Greek Orthodox metropolitan under Turkish rule. The town has an 11-span stone bridge of the 16th century and the ruins of a medieval fortress. ZWEIBRÜCKEN [French: Deuxponts; medieval: Bipontium] (Germany) City and duchy, 5 mi WSW of Mannheim in… read more »

ZWICKAU (Germany)

City, on the Mulde River in Saxony, 42 mi S of Leipzig. Slavic in origin, it was first mentioned in 1118 as a trading center and was chartered in 1212. It developed into a free imperial city in the 12th century until it passed to the margraves of Meissen in 1323. It became the center… read more »

ZWOLLE (Netherlands)

Town and capital of Overijssel province, 18 mi N of Deventer. Chartered in 1230, as a member of the Hanseatic League it was a strategic stronghold until its ramparts were destroyed in 1674 during the Dutch wars. Notable buildings include two churches and the town hall, all 15th century. It was a center of the… read more »

ZOMBA (Malawi)

Town in the Shire Highlands, approximately 70 mi S of Lake Malawi. It was the capital of Malawi until 1966, when it was replaced by Lilongwe on Malawi’s becoming a republic. It was founded by European planters c. 1880.

ZUG [French: Zoug] (Switzerland)

City on the Lake of Zug, 15 mi S of Zurich. First mentioned in 1242 as a possession of the counts of Kyburg and purchased by the Hapsburg family in 1273, the city still retains a strong medieval flavor. Zug first joined the Swiss Confederation in 1353 and again in 1364, reverting to Hapsburg control… read more »

ZUIDER ZEE [Zuyder Zee] [ancient: Flevo Lacus] (Netherlands)

A former large, landlocked inlet off the North Sea, on the N coast of the Netherlands. The sea washed into it only during floods. Once again it is landlocked by a dike, partly drained, and is divided into the IJsselmeer and the Waddenzee. As early as the 16th century plans were made to enclose the… read more »

Sidebar