City in SW Idaho on the Snake River. In 1864, J.M. (Matt) Taylor, a freighter, constructed a log bridge downstream from an existing ferry upstream from the site. The community was originally known as Taylor’s Bridge, then Eagle Rock, until its name was changed to Idaho Falls on August 26, 1891. Early
permanent residents were Mormon pioneers who farmed and irrigated the arid land in the river valley. The area around Idaho Falls now yields most of the state’s potatoes, grain, and other crops. The Bonneville Museum offers permanent exhibits depicting local historical events of pioneer life.