Town in Somerset, 5 mi NW of Yeovil. Occupied by the Romans, it was the northern tribal capital of the Durotriges tribe. In the 10th century a royal mint was established here by Edgar, king of the English, which remained in use until the 13th century.
Island in the Richelieu River, near St. Jean, S Quebec. A fort was built here by the French in 1759 during the French and Indian War. Occupied by the British from 1760 to 1775, when it fell to the Americans, it was abandoned in 1776. The island was used thereafter by the British for their operations against the Americans on Lake Champlain.
Region of France, with its capital at Paris. The traditional center of France and the cradle of the French monarchy, it is so-called because it is bounded by the Seine, Oise, and Marne rivers. It was divided administratively in 1790.
ÎLE DE FRANCE (Mauritius) See Mauritius, Port Louis
ÎLE DE LA CITE [ancient: Lutetia Parisiorum] (France) Island in the Seine River, Paris, in the Seine department, the original Paris. Starting as a fortified town of the Gallic Parisii tribe, it was conquered by Julius Caesar in 52 b.c. It had originally been a camping ground for Celtic fishermen, but was developed by the Romans. Under Roman rule the settlement spread to the left bank of the Seine and became increasingly important. Lutetia was renamed Paris in the fourth century a.d. and remained the center of the medieval city. The cathedral of Notre Dame, the Palais de Justice, and the Sainte Chapelle are among its notable buildings.