Village in Ohio, on the Tuscarawas River, N of Dover. It was founded in 1817 by Protestant Separatists from southern Germany on land obtained with assistance from the Philadelphia Quakers. A communistic economic system and a strict moral and religious life was established. The society declined after 1853 when its founder, Joseph Michael Bimeler, died. It was closed down in 1898.